Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Attention Dreamers! ¡Atención Dreamers!

Calling All Dreamers!

The President has made it possible for undocumented youth who have lived in the U.S. for over five years to apply for temporary lawful status and work authorization. Young people that meet the following requirements can apply:
  • Came to the United States when they were under the age of sixteen;
  • Have continuouslyresided in the United States for at least five years before June 15, 2012, and are present in the United States on June 15, 2012;
  • Are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
  • Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety;
  • Are not above the age of thirty (as of June 15, 2012).
We strongly urge you to get help from an accredited nonprofit immigration program or a licensed attorney. Please stay away from "notaries" and other unscrupulous entities who are not authorized to practice immigration law.

Questions and Answers
1. Is this an amnesty? No, this is not an amnesty. This is a way for undocumented young people to get a work permit. This is not a way to apply for permanent residency or U.S.citizenship.

2. What benefits will I get with this temporary status? You will get a work permit that will be valid for two years with possible renewal after that. You can work and live legally in the United States with this status. You can not include your family members as derivatives.

3. When can I apply for my work permit? We have to wait for Immigration to issue a form and fee for this process. We cannot apply yet. It could be several months until the application process is opened. DO NOT pay anyone to help you until the government announces that the application period has opened.

4. How can I get ready to apply? You can prepare by gathering all the documents to prove the requirements listed above and by saving your money for fees. 5. What kind of documents will Immigration want? Documents to prove the above requirements could be:
  • Your birth certificate, with an English translation;
  • Proof that you came to the U.S. when you were under the age of 16, such as school records, medical records, receipts, financial records, and affidavits from friends and family members;
  • Proof that you have lived in the U.S. for at least five years, such as school records, medical records, bank account records, taxes, financial records, letters from employers, leases or mortgages, and affidavits from friends and family members.
  • School records showing you are currently in school, your high school or college diploma, your GED certificate, or military records showing that you have been honorably discharged from the military;
  • Court dispositions from all arrests. For more information, you can call USCIS at 1.800.375.528

No comments:

Post a Comment